Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Ironman 70.3 Boise Race Report

I had the best swim of my life, a disappointing Bike, A disappointing first half of my run and then a good second half of my run.

Coming into this race I had a lot of really fast swim workouts so I thought I would have a good swim. I was lucky as I drafted off of the same guy the whole swim. I touched his toes one to many times and he did a quick turn to yell at me so I was careful not to touch his toes after that. Thanks whoever you are for helping me have a good swim. Sorry for touching your toes so much. I swam 31:10

After looking at my ASI photo's for IM St. George I thought that my bike position was pretty non-aero so I changed it for this race. I dropped my elbows down about 1 1/4 inch. I thought this would help me get faster, in reality I think it slowed me down, I guess the added aero benefit did not outweigh the loss of power due to the more aggressive position. I pushed it hard on the bike but I felt I should have been faster than the 2:15 I got. I don't know why I was slower than what I thought I should do, but I think my new position may have something to do with it. I’m going back to the old position.

I came into t2 first in my age group but was passed in the first 50 meters of the run. The dude was flying. I did not feel great and tried to keep him in my view but he kept pulling away. About halfway through the run I started to feel better and I really started pushing it. At the turn around with a little over 3 miles left I saw that I had gained on him, I kept my pace really fast and I got close to him just after mile 12. I decided to increase my speed and pass him as fast as I could so he would not try to stay with me, I ran past him at a sub 6:00 minute mile pace and he did not try to respond. I ended up beating him by 50 seconds. I talked to him afterwards and he told me what I thought, that he saw how fast I passed him and he thought there was no way of going with me. By passing this guy I won my age group. It was nice to run someone down at the end of a race rather than being on the receiving end like I have in the past. I ran 1:27:something.

So I had a great beginning to my race, a disappointing middle and a happy ending.

1 comment:

  1. Did David say/write that I am your counterpart in triathlon? Haha. That was funny. I wish! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete