Monday, April 18, 2011

St George Ironman 3 Weeks Away

I procrastinated doing the St. George course this year until the last minute. I dislike traveling and I like the consistency of doing my workouts in my basement. I finally collected all my courage and spent last Friday and Saturday biking and running on the course in St George. It was good and I came away with a few thoughts.

#1 I still don’t know how to ride a bike. This was my first outdoor riding since I raced in Kona last October. It is a lot different than the trainer. I fell off of my bike only once in the two days so that is encouraging. I will get in some more outdoor rides here in the next two weeks to better adjust to actually riding a bike as opposed to the unchanging resistance, no steering, no bumps, smooth consistency of my trainer.

#2 I like my Zipp Firecrest 808. Thank you Power Tri for your help in getting me this very fast/stable wheel. It is the perfect front wheel for the St George course.

#3 Watch out for Heath Thurston. I spent some time biking with Heath and he is looking strong. I think that he is due for a great race. He’ll be way ahead after the swim; He is strong enough to still be in contention after the bike; He did a really fast 50 mile ultra run a month ago so the marathon should be a piece of cake for him; All together Heath is in a good spot to have a great day.

#4 I hope to do well on May 7th. My bike has improved since last year. My run has improved more than my bike has. I am hoping for a breakthrough race.

2 comments:

  1. I was hoping M. was kidding when she told me that SG was your first ride outdoors but I guess she was not! You are a nut! I really hope all goes well for both you and Heath! You will both do awesome, I know it! Can't wait to see you throw it down! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so excited to come watch Spencer!! I hope you like cowbell!

    ReplyDelete